Sunday 18 November 2012

Little Lemons

This morning I have planted four lemon pips in a pot, pretty much the same as the clementines yesterday. I was using a lemon and some limes yesterday evening. Really disappointed that there wasn't a pip to be found in the two limes!

I do have a history with lemons, it's work in progress. Maybe four or five years ago, I planted lemon pips and got about five to germinate. I had the plants for about two years before one after another, they all died (in retrospect, I think it was due to overwatering). Since then, I bought a lemon tree - not a well established, fruiting tree of incredible cost, but a young tree for about 10 pounds, which I've had two or three years now. It is still alive, but whereas it might have been about my height by now, it doesn't even reach my knees. From experience and also from a little reading, I've found out that lemons are not the easiest trees to keep alive. In some ways they seem to be determined to throw themselves out of the proverbial window. They are evergreens, but they will drop leaves if displeased. They don't always seem to be keen on regrowing leaves to replace the dropped leaves, and I've had some branches, where all the leaves dropped off, then go brown. Leaves will be dropped when the tree is in a huff - it's had too much water; it's had too little water; it's too hot; the air is to dry; it's too cold; a frost got on it's leaves; too much food; too little food; you let a catepillar wander on my leaves and nibble... It really feels like a battle of wills between me and my lemon tree. As winter approaches, it lives in the kitchen - there were two leaves on the floor this morning so I guess I'm in the bad books again....

No comments:

Post a Comment